Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A grandmother's love

As usual,
I went for tuition yesterday....





As soon as i reached there,
I was greeted by Nyai.....





She poured me a glass of water
and shoved me a plate of pulut serunding...





I was touched by this simple gesture of love..





It might not be a big deal to some of you out there,
but there's a reason behind it that makes it such a big deal for me...





conversation btw Nyai and me,
last week, when i was giving tuition:





Nyai: sanah, tgk tgn kau....





she took out a string of raffiah (tali raffia)
and used it to measure around my wrist.





I continued the tuition without thinking much
abt what my Nyai did.





Nyai: sanah..kau mkn pulut serunding tak?





To tell the truth, I was a little bit pissed..
because i was being interrupted unneccesarily...





Me: Tak suka, sbb serunding dia nnt
mcm tersekat kat tekak lah nyai...





yesterday when i was about to start my lesson:
I saw her carrying a pink rectangular box..





Nyai: Sanah, meh sini tgn kau...





she opened the box, and................






























there lay a beautiful watch...
(mind you my current watch is already going gaga,
so it's about the right time lah..)





I was stunned hokay!





I could feel my tears welling up,
but i managed to swallow it down...





(eee...khasanah...ego nah!)





i was just paisey....





I looked at my cousin, and she said:



Fatin: she wants to give you a watch lah...



Me: *sheepish* err...buat susah je..hihi....





Control paisey beb!





So, my Nyai buckled the watch for me....

Nyai: kan minggu lepas nyai ukur tangan kau,
sbb nyai nak belikan jam nilah..








*uwaaa...sebak*








The next few minutes,
I felt even more touched!





Nyai: sanah, nah..rasa ni....



It's a pulut....but i couldnt make out what pulut it was...





Me: Mmmm..sedap...apa ni nyai?



Nyai: pulut serunding lah...*smiling*
kan kau tak mkn serunding nyer...jadi nyai blender kan..
takdalah tersekat kat tekak....



Me: *stunned BIG time!*





terharulaaaaaa......


So people,
tell me how can you not be touched with something like that...

i could sense that she is extremely happy that
i visited and will be visiting her every week,
even if its for Fatin's tuition....

I still remembered how my dad used to nag at me,
"keluar dengan kawan boleh,
suruh pergi ziarah nyai nyer punyalah liat"

"kau tu dah besar, pergilah ziarah nyai nyer..
takkan nk disuruh-suruh lagi"

"kalau takda nyai kau, takdalah bapak, takdalah engkau"








I felt terribly angry with myself...
The egoistical, hard-headed girl that i am...

I secretly made a vow to myself..
I will visit my Nyai even if i no longer teach Fatin...

I LOVE my Nyai...

No comments: